We launched Classmint around 3 months back and we are receiving a number of requests:
- More Note Templates
- Groups for private sharing
- Adding Videos to the Notes
- Many more features
We did a thorough analysis and realized that we can’t have videos in the Classmint notes given the current use case of the product because of following:
- Classmint is used in the Classroom as an ICT (Information and Communication Technology) by many AVID (avid.org) schools in USA. We can see like 15-50 students concurrently accessing the service and creating study notes. If we would allow videos, school’s network will experience a traffic spike and it would be hard for them to use Classmint in the classroom.
- We think video is a poor replacement of student-teacher communication. We feel video is useful in the flipped classroom model which can be shared thru popular Youtube channel or Vimeo. We don’t want to be a platform that helps teacher and student to collaborate on study materials. Also, help students master the content which is shared by the teacher. First time, It should happen in real-time or face to face.
- A Teacher or Student can’t print a video on a piece of paper. When we are talking about study notes in real-life, we are talking about something that can be printed on a piece of paper. Most of study happens with things that can be printed and carried with you.
- We are also working to build mobile apps that will sync. your study notes created using the platform. It is really hard to sync. a video because of the size constraints.
We are making this decision for the next 1 year and will be happy to revise our decision and see if it would make sense to include videos in here.